Skip to main content

An experience in customer care


After some months desiring a DVR (VCR-like equipment with a high capacity hard disk) I found a Sony HDD250 for 20% of the regular price in a prestigious US store. The price was due a small scratch and a missing manual. I bought it!

Back to Brazil I downloaded the manual and installed the cables but…the remote control did not work - it was of another equipment. OK, I should have noticed that but… I was VERY frustrated.

The wrong side of customer care:

1. I wrote BestBuy. In a canned answer they suggested me to phone the store attendant or returning the equipment. They neither tried to understand my problem.

2. I talked to Sony (I have two of their “universal” remote controllers). Answer: if the code was not in the manual I could not operate the DVR. They suggested me buying a replacement control from a company that …did not sell it. In another demonstration of “customer care”, their product forum has many complaints about not being possible to manually setting the clock - and no answer. I reset the product 20 times to get the correct time.

3. I bought another “universal” remote control that did not work. The manual and their technical support directed me to a website that was not working.

Now the right side:

The store were I bought the “universal” remote control (in point 3) offered the money back (except for the credit card fee) but their manager helped me to find other items I could be changing it for. Result: I even spent some more money in other items.

Finally the champion: NoviiRemote is a program that gives your Palm fantastic remote control power. In a few hours their support answered they’d try to solve my problem! In one day I had my problem solved. EVEN BEFORE BUYING THEIR PRODUCT. I thank Novii and their support (Ksenia) to have solved my problem. Of course I bought the product!

I suggest you to know the NoviiRemote (it is fantastic to program a macro that turns on the TV set, DVR, Home Theater, Cable with a single button).

I also recommend you to understand your client problems and needs. These are business opportunities, free advertisement, and loyal customers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TimeTo

I just licensed a new software for my personal organization system: TimeTo . It tries to conciliate your schedule with you to-do list, automatically scheduling your tasks based on priorities and deadlines. It has helped me in maintaining the concentration on what I’m doing at each time and how much time I spend on doing each type of task. Additionally, I have a very powerful way to complete my timesheet. I can tell you exactly what I was doing at a specific time in the past. It is not easy to conciliate it with GTD and I still keep my lists on my Palm but I have improved my focus and I’m achieving more. I suggest you to give it a try.

Priorities & MoSCoW

One of the most important tasks a PM has on a software development project (maybe in all projects) is setting priorities. Usually time and money is shorter than everybody would like and you have to choose what to develop and what not to develop. It takes communication skills, a lot of negotiation and, at the end; everybody is a little bit frustrated… If your team is developing software iteratively and incrementally (and you should… but that’s a theme for another post), you have to prioritize each iteration sub-scope. To make scope more clear, at my company we adopt the MoSCoW list. I believe it originally has roots on DSDM (although it is used similarly on SCRUM, UP and it has elements of Cockburn’s actor-goal list) and it is a very powerful tool. Simply stated, it is a list of requirements (or actor-goals, or use case titles…) each one prioritized with a letter MSCW (Must, Should, Could and Won’t – that’s the origin of MoSCoW list name). I simplify the explanation to my clients, key-u